Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Shoveling Out and Soup

Cardio and strength training were busted out today by shoveling the driveway - which is pretty big by the way and the front sidewalks.  The Son (snow day) and I tag-teamed at first but after a while I figured out it would go faster with just me.....I know, I know, he's not learning much but he did get exposed to it!  Thankfully the snow was pretty powdery so it went pretty quickly but still a workout!!  It was cold and windy but I was toasty warm except my ears......new on the to-do list.......knit a cap with ear flaps!  And then there is the dreaded runny nose!!  Can't seem to help that......I remember that from when I was running outside in the cold a few months ago!

The cold weather makes me want soup and I had the ingredients for a wonderful soup recipe I found on the Internet.  Found it on one of the blogs I love to read and unfortunately I didn't write it down like I usually do.
Tortellini Soup

                                                              Here's my ingredients.

Tortellini Soup

3 T. Butter
2 Stalks of Celery
1 sm onion - chopped
1 carrot - peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
8 C Chicken Broth
4 C water
20 oz. cheese filled tortellini
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t nutmeg
 Parmigiano - grated

1. Into a large dutch oven, melt the butter over med-low heat.  When melted, add celery, onion, carrot and garlic.  Cover and reduce heat, cook on low till veggies soften.
2.  Add broth, water and increase heat to med-high and bring to a boil.  When boils, add pepper and nutmeg. Reduce to low and add tortellini and cook till al dente.
3.  Garnish with Parmigiano when serving.

I didn't have celery so left that out and made a half batch.  I used the dried tortellini in the spinach/cheese flavor but you could use the fresh or the frozen too.
It was delicious!!!   I would highly recommend this soup!!


No comments:

Post a Comment